Tuesday 20 January 2015

Champion (legend #3) by Marie Lu

Through everything June and Day have sacrificed so much for the people of the Republic—and each other. The new existence of a promising Republic is getting the hopes up of many. June is back in the good books of the Republic, working as Princeps-Elect, while Day has been assigned a high-level military position. But had they gotten their hopes up to just be let down again?

Since the end of Prodigy June and Day have had little contact. Until an event occurs that neither would have predicted to bring them back together again.  Just as a peace treaty is imminent for a better Republic, a plague outbreak causes panic and fury in the Colonies, and war threatens the Republic’s border cities. This new outbreak of plague is more dangerous and deadly than anything they have seen before, could this be the downfall of the Republic? Or can June find it in herself to ask the one she loves to do something even deadlier than the plague?

MY RATING
4 of 5 stars

Out of all the books in the trilogy, Champion is the most intense and serious one since there is the constant fear and worry about the state of Day. I wanted Day to do Day type things like jumping off buildings or running on roofs but I also wanted him to tuck up in bed and watch a movie, so I didn't have to worry about him dying. There was definitely a lot of gasp moments, especially in reference to Commander Jameson.....and a gun. But overall I feel this book ties up all the politics, war and relationships in to a massive explosion of emotions and brings a very serious feel to the book. Most of the book is based on the characters making life or death decisions which creates such a suspense. This is reflected by the pace of the book not slowing down one bit, but this reinforces the feeling of urgency and how split decisions can affect the futures of these characters.

An amazing talent Lu has is her development in characters, from Legend to Champion, there isn't one character that hasn't changed or matured. This maturity is evident in characters such as Tess and of course June and Day. This development in maturity is somewhat realistic and makes me love reading books like this as you can see how they change their mindset and the way in which they make decisions changes. Throughout selflessness has become an ever growing value shining from many of the characters due to this development in maturity. Eden. Day. June. Kaede. Tess. Pascao. Metaius. All these characters have proven to be selfless in one way or another and all have done it out of love/care for the other characters, which essentially is the whole point of this book. This is the reason that Day was fighting the republic; for his family. This is the reason June was fighting the republic; for her family.

I admit I was in no way satisfied with Lu's ending and how much it lacks detail of what occurs in the future for Day and June, since it keeps me guessing and realising that I will never know the answer to it. In all honesty I feel like the ending could be better as once I read it I was questioning whether some pages had been ripped out because I didn't want it to end in the way I did. However even though it wasn't my preferred ending the last two or three chapters did have me gnawing my nails and prompting me to carry on reading. And the ending was in some ways a skilled part of the writing as the ambiguity of it did somehow cause me to both feel sadness but hope, like a light at the end of the tunnel from  all the darkness and the hurt and all the pain both characters had been through. It felt like they could have a new start. With a new Republic.

I'm so sad this series is over however if you haven't had the chance to read it. I don't care what time it is, go to the shop now. Buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment